– Tonight’s WWE RAW kicks off with a look at the problems between CM Punk and Paul Heyman, plus Brock Lesnar’s return last week. We get a look at John Cena choosing Daniel Bryan as his SummerSlam opponent. The Road to SummerSlam begins tonight.
– We’re live from the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas. The drum roll starts up and the lights come on as General Manager Brad Maddox waits in the ring. Maddox talks about his decision to let Cena pick his opponent last week. There will be an official contract signing tonight. The ring is already set up for a contract signing as WWE Champion John Cena comes out to a mixed reaction.
Cena takes a seat and lets Maddox speak. They talk about why Cena chose Bryan and Bryan’s music hits. Here he comes to a bigger pop than Cena. Bryan goes to speak but the fans start chanting his name. Maddox asks if Bryan thinks he’s earned or deserves a title shot. Cena says he chose Bryan because sometimes the people in charge are afraid to see talent even when the beard is staring them in the face. Cena names Shawn Michaels, Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero as people who proved ability and passion make a WWE Champion, not just size and strength. A chant for Eddie breaks out. Cena says Bryan has earned and deserves this title shot. Cena says he picked Bryan to compete. Cena says he will not be handing Bryan the title. Cena signs the contract and says he’s going to SummerSlam to defend the WWE Title. Cena calls Bryan the best competition right now but he will prove that even the best isn’t enough. Some boos for Cena. Bryan chants start up again. Bryan signs the contract. Bryan goes to speak but Maddox interrupts him and announces the match. Bryan yells at Maddox for interrupting him. Bryan says he’s proved he deserves this. Maddox questions that. Maddox is putting Bryan into multiple matches tonight. Maddox doesn’t think Bryan will prove himself worthy tonight. Maddox chants no but the fans chant yes. The announcers hype the match.
– Still to come, Mark Henry will fire back at The Shield. Also tonight, Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio. We go to commercial.
Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio
Back from the break and out first comes Sheamus. World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio is out next for this non-title match.
They go at it and Del Rio starts kicking the huge bruise on Sheamus’ leg. Sheamus comes back with a neckbreaker for a 2 count. Del Rio uses the ropes to choke Sheamus. Del Rio with more offense in the corner. Sheamus comes back and drops Del Rio for a 2 count. Del Rio takes out the leg again. Kick to the head by Del Rio. Del Rio with stomps now. Del Rio with a submission on the ropes. Sheamus drops him to the floor with a huge right hand. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Del Rio with a 2 count. During the break, Sheamus got thrown into the steel steps. Del Rio keeps working on the leg now. Sheamus hits a big powerslam out of nowhere. We see Damien Sandow backstage watching with his briefcase. Del Rio and Sheamus go at it now. Sheamus unloads in the corner. More offense from Sheamus and a 2 count. Del Rio with more kicks to the leg. Del Rio hits a backstabber for 2. Sheamus comes back an hits the forearms on the apron. Del Rio counters and comes back in but gets caught by the Irish Curse backbreaker for a 2 count. Sheamus goes to the top but Del Rio hits an enziguri for a close 2 count. Sheamus hits the rolling senton. Sheamus misses a Brogue Kick and Del Rio goes back to his leg. Sheamus blocks the cross armbreaker. He goes for White Noise but his leg gives out. Del Rio rolls through and gets the pin.
Winner: Alberto Del Rio
– Still to come, MizTV with the cast of Total Divas. Plus, we will get an update on CM Punk. Back to commercial.
– We see footage of Vickie Guerrero being named SmackDown General Manager. Renee Young is backstage with Booker T and Teddy Long. Booker respects Vince McMahon’s decision but says he was shocked by the whole situation. Teddy interrupts and says he looked over SmackDown and took abuse for 3 whole months while Booker sat at home with his feet up. Teddy isn’t happy about Vickie having security remove him from the building last week. Booker threatens to throw Teddy out this week. Teddy says if he wasn’t going to be named GM, maybe Vince made the right decision. Teddy walks off.
– Still to come, Daniel Bryan will face 3 mystery opponents.
Christian vs. Titus O’Neil
We go to the ring and out first comes Christian before taking a commercial break.
Back from the break and out comes Titus O’Neil with Darren Young. Titus strikes first and slams Christian. Back and forth. Titus sends Christian to the floor and Young gets some cheap shots in. Titus brings it back in and keeps working Christian over for a 2 count. Titus blows his whistle as he stomp away in the corner. Christian comes back with a missile dropkick and more offense. Christian with the flying elbow from the ropes. Titus blocks Killswitch but Christian hits Young on the apron. Christian turns around distracted and Titus runs over him for a close 2 count. Christian counters a finisher and hits Killswitch for the win.
– We get a look back at SmackDown where Ryback beat up on Chris Jericho. Ryback is backstage with Josh Mathews right now. Ryback talks about being against average people. He says people like Mathews need to be intimidated by him and if they’re not, he will prove to them why they should be. Ryback plays up the bully role. We go back to commercial.
– Back from the break and out comes Mark Henry. We see the attack from The Shield last week. Henry says he’s a proud Texas, born and raised. The crowd pops. Henry says he’s not proud of what happened last week. Henry calls out The Shield. Here comes Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose through the crowd.
They hit the ring and beat Henry down. He fights them off but they get him down in the corner as the fans boo. The music hits and out come The Usos for the save. Henry gets back up and they clean house. The Shield retreats through the crowd as Henry stands tall with The Usos.
– Daniel Bryan is backstage warming up when John Cena walks in. Cena wonders if someone is making the decisions for Maddox. Bryan says he will be fine by his own. Cena just wants Bryan to make it to SummerSlam in one piece. They go on and Bryan storms off. Back to commercial.
Darren Young vs. Dolph Ziggler
Back from the break and Darren Young waits in the ring as Dolph Ziggler makes his way out.
They go at it. Ziggler shows off early and then dropkicks Young for a 2 count. Ziggler gets caught up in the corner and falls on his head. Young with a big clothesline and a 2 count. Ziggler fights out of a hold and sends Young flying into the ring post by his shoulder. Ziggler with a pair of clotheslines for a 2 count. Young ends up with Ziggler on his shoulders. Young slams Ziggler hard on his face for a 2 count. Young runs his mouth and Ziggler nails a Zig Zag for the win.
Winner: Dolph Ziggler
– After the match, Big E Langston runs down and interrupts Dolph’s celebration with a sneak attack. AJ Lee is right behind him. Ziggler ducks a shot and goes at it with Big E, sending him to the floor. Big E runs back in but Ziggler runs out of the ring and taunts them from the ramp.
– Cole and the announcers show us how to install the WWE App. Still to come, an update on CM Punk and MizTV with the cast of Total Divas. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and The Miz is in the ring for MizTV with The Bella Twins, Natalya, Cameron, Naomi, Eva Marie and Jo Jo Offerman. We get some preview clips for Total Divas.
Miz introduces the Divas and turns things over to Jerry Lawler, letting him emcee MizTV. Lawler knows the other Divas but introduces himself to Jo Jo and Eva Marie. Eva doesn’t shake his hand and says she doesn’t like how Lawler is looking at her. She introduces herself and says she’s here to make a name. Eva slaps Lawler. Lawler hands things back over to Miz and he plugs the debut episode next Sunday night.
– Still to come, who will Daniel Bryan face? Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Brad Maddox is on the phone when Triple H walks in. Triple H says Maddox doesn’t think Daniel Bryan is big enough or championship material. He says it sounds like someone put words in Brad’s mouth and references Vince McMahon. Triple H says he believes Bryan may be the future of WWE. Triple H talks some more and leaves. Stephanie McMahon appears. She has an idea but doesn’t share it just yet. She walks off and Maddox looks worried.
– We get a video package for The Wyatt Family.
Fandango vs. Cody Rhodes
We go to the ring and out comes Fandango with Summer Rae. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Damien Sandow is out for commentary. Here comes Cody Rhodes next.
Cody gets the win after a good back and forth match. Sandow got on the apron with the briefcase but Cody took he and Fandango out with a Disaster Kick.
Winner: Cody Rhodes
– Back from a break and out comes CM Punk. He talks about the attack from Brock Lesnar last week. Punk talks about how big of a monster Lesnar is and mentions his UFC days. Punk declares that he is not afraid of Brock Lesnar. He is not afraid of Paul Heyman’s monster. Punk wants to talk about Heyman now. He says Heyman made the wrong decision and he’s going to make him pay for it now. Punk isn’t going to stop until Lesnar is gone. He says this is his ring. Punk promises to get his hands on Heyman and make him pay. Punk wants Lesnar at SummerSlam – The Best vs. The Beast. Heyman comes on the big screen and repeats the tagline. He likes it. Heyman goes on and rips the Texas fans. He’s live via satellite and apparently has Brock off to the side with him. Heyman talks about what kind of shape Brock is in and says Punk is beat up. Heyman says if Punk wants a fight, he’s got it. Heyman accepts the challenge. Heyman praises Lesnar some more. Fans chant for Punk to end the segment.
– Rob Van Dam is walking backstage as we go to commercial.
Rob Van Dam vs. Wade Barrett
Back from the break and Wade Barrett waits as Rob Van Dam makes his way out. Good back and forth match. RVD hits rolling Thunder and then the moonsault for a close 2 count. Barrett sends RVD into the corner and hits a big mule kick. RVD counters with a heel kick in the corner. RVD with the second rope kick now. RVD goes to the top and nails the Five Star Frogsplash for the win.
Winner: Rob Van Dam
– Daniel Bryan is walking backstage as we go to commercial.
Gauntlet Match: Daniel Bryan vs. Jack Swagger
We go to the ring and out first comes Daniel Bryan. Out next comes his first opponent, Jack Swagger. Swagger has Antonio Cesaro and Zeb Colter with him. Colter rips Texas and the Daniel Bryan fans. Swagger and Bryan start the match now.
Swagger takes control early on. Swagger wastes time after a shoulder block. Swagger stomps away and hits knees to the gut in the corner. Swagger keeps control. Bryan tries to come back with a suicide dive but Swagger stops him with a big right hand. Swagger nails a Swagger Bomb but wastes more time. Bryan locks in the Yes Lock and Swagger taps out.
Winner: Daniel Bryan
Gauntlet Match: Daniel Bryan vs. Antonio Cesaro
Cesaro enters the ring as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Cesaro is in control of Bryan. Cesaro works him over and applies a submission. Bryan whips Cesaro’s leg and takes him down. Another leg whip by Bryan. Bryan locks in the surfboard submission on Cesaro now. Cesaro nails a big suplex and mounts Bryan with forearm shots. Cesaro drops an elbow for another 2 count. Cesaro with another headlock, taking Bryan to the mat.
Bryan finally fights out and takes Cesaro off his feet. Bryan with kicks to the chest now. Cesaro ducks a kick to the head and applies another headlock. Bryan breaks it and nails the running dropkick in the corner. Bryan with the big dropkick low in the corner for a 2 count. Bryan continues but Cesaro nails an uppercut in mid-air for a 2 count. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Bryan rolls Cesaro up for a 2 count. Cesaro drops Bryan again for another pin attempt. Cesaro with the big gutwrench slam for another 2 count. Bryan comes back with rights and a headbutt. Cesaro scoops Bryan and drops him on his head for 2. Cesaro runs into a knee. Bryan with a big back suplex and a kick to the head for 2. Fans chant “this is awesome” as both try to get to their feet. Bryan goes to the top but Cesaro knocks him down and jumps with an uppercut. Cesaro climbs up for a superplex but Bryan fights him off and to the mat. Cesaro climbs back up but Bryan slips out and pushes Cesaro down on the top. Bryan turns Cesaro upside down in the corner and kicks away. Bryan with another dropkick. Bryan goes for a back superplex but Cesaro counters in mid-air and falls on top of Bryan for 2. They get up and trade uppercuts now. Cesaro unloads with a bunch of uppercuts and a clothesline for a close 2 count. Cesaro goes for the Neutralizer but Bryan counters and back drops Cesaro. More back and forth. Bryan ties up Cesaro’s leg and unloads with forearm shots. Cesaro gets dumped out by Swagger. Bryan takes them both out with a suicide dive. Bryan brings it back in. Bryan counters an uppercut in mid-air and rolls Cesaro up for the win.
Winner: Daniel Bryan
– We see Alex Riley and Brad Maddox backstage watching Bryan celebrate. Maddox has a third opponent for Bryan but we go to commercial.
Gauntlet Match: Daniel Bryan vs. Ryback
Back from the break and out comes Daniel Bryan’s final opponent, Ryback.
Bryan unloads but Ryback cuts him off and beats him down. Ryback controls the match and taunts Bryan in the corner before tossing him across the ring. Ryback beats Bryan around and taunts him. Ryback stands on Bryan and mocks his “yes!” chant. Ryback whips Bryan hard into the corner and the fans chant “you can’t wrestle” at him. Ryback with a suplex and a 2 count. Ryback with a headlock now. Bryan fights out but Ryback hits a Thesz Press. Bryan turns it into a half crab. Ryback makes it to the ropes and breaks the hold.
Ryback keeps control and hits a big splash for 2. Ryback runs into a knee to the jaw. Bryan with a pair of dropkicks in the corner. Ryback blocks a third with a big clothesline for 2. Ryback grabs a table from under the ring and sets it up on the outside. Bryan nails a suicide dive, sending Ryback face first into the announce table. They come back in and Bryan hits kicks. Ryback catches him on his shoulders but Bryan rolls up for 2. Bryan goes for the Yes Lock but Ryback tosses him by his hair. Bryan unloads and nails a big missile dropkick for 2. Bryan with the Yes Lock again. Ryback finally makes it to the ropes and breaks the hold. Bryan leaps off the apron but Ryback catches him and powerbombs him on the floor. Ryback powerbombs Bryan through the table on the floor and the referee calls the match.
Winner by DQ: Daniel Bryan
– After the match, Ryback grabs Bryan for more but John Cena runs out for the save. Cena cleans house of Ryback and sends him up the ramp. Cena checks on Bryan and challenges Ryback to a Tables Match next week. Vince McMahon walks in on Brad Maddox backstage. Maddox brags about next week’s main event. Vince asks what about Daniel Bryan. Vince and Maddox decide to have Bryan face Kane next week. RAW goes off the air with Bryan celebrating.