New Japan Pro-Wrestling knocked it out of the park yet again this year. Generally with these kinds of things there are a small handful of obvious front-runners, but a case could genuinely be made for any match below depending on the individual’s tastes.
Separated by less than one-percent of the total vote, Kota Ibushi’s glorious victory over “Switchblade” Jay White in the finals of perhaps the greatest G1 Climax tournament in history, stood alone on top of the mountain.
It was a nail-biter to the finish, however, with the #1 pick changing eight times in the final hour of voting earlier this week. Here’s how it broke down:
- Jay White vs. Kota Ibushi (G1 Climax Day #19) – 14.7%
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay (G1 Climax Day #7) – 14.1%
- Dragon Lee vs. Will Ospreay (Dominion) – 12.5%
- Shingo Takagi vs. Tomohiro Ishii (G1 Climax Day #16) – 12.0%
- Kota Ibushi vs. Will Ospreay (G1 Climax Day #5) – 10.9%
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kenny Omega (Wrestle Kingdom 13) – 9.8%
- Robbie Eagles vs. Will Ospreay (Showdown in Melbourne) – 9.8%
Other options earning less than 5% of the total vote include:
- Shingo Takagi vs. Will Ospreay (BOSJ #15)
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi (G1 Climax Day #17)
- El Phantasmmo vs. Rocky Romero (BOSJ Day #15)
- Shingo Takagi vs. Tetsuya Naito (G1 Climax Day #14)
Based on 552 votes collected.