NJPW has released the complete list of teams that will be competing in the 2018 World Tag League, the final major tour of the year kicking off Saturday, Nov. 17th and running all the way through Sunday, Dec. 9th.
There will be a bit of a change to this year’s tournament, following in the footsteps of the Super Jr. Tag League which just wrapped up. Instead of multiple blocks, all 14 teams will compete in one large block where everyone will end up facing off by the end.
New Japan opted not to reach outside its own borders for teams this year, instead relying on their own factions to fill out a tournament bracket similar to last year’s in a lot of ways. Jeff Cobb and Michael Elgin are back together in a somewhat controversial move.
Suzuki-Gun has three teams representing this time around, while Hangman Page is the sole member of The Elite that will be competing. The Young Bucks, despite having moved to the “heavyweight” division earlier this year to win and lose a new set of tag belts, are noticeably absent from the competition.
Here’s a look at all 14 teams:
- Ayota Yoshida & Shota Umino (Young Lions)
- Best Friends (CHAOS)
- David Finlay & Juice Robinson
- EVIL & SANADA (Los Ingobernables de Japon)
- Guerrillas of Destiny (Bullet Club)
- Hangman Page & Yujiro Takahashi (The Elite)
- Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima
- Jeff Cobb & Michael Elgin
- Killer Elite Squad (Suzuki-Gun)
- Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata
- Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka (Suzuki-Gun)
- Toa Henare & Togi Makabe
- Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano (CHAOS)
- Zack Sabre Jr. & Taichi (Suzuki-Gun)