The final night of a four-night tour at Korakuen Hall saw New Japan Pro-Wrestling crown a brand new trio of NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Champions.
The promotion recently announced a tournament to crown new champions after EVIL, one-third of the previous title holders, shockingly defected from Los Ingobernables de Japon and turned on his partners. In a rare occurrence, the tournament came down to a final bout featuring two teams from the CHAOS faction.
NJPW Summer Struggle Tour Results
Sunday, August 9, 2020
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan
1. Gedo & Yujiro Takahashi def. Gabriel Kidd & Yuya Uemura
2. Ryusuke Taguchi, Satoshi Kojima & Yuji Nagata def. Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Yota Tsuji
3. SANADA & Shingo Takagi def. DOUKI & Minoru Suzuki
4. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Kota Ibushi & Master Wato def. Suzuki-Gun (El Desperado, Taichi, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Zack Sabre Jr.)
5. EVIL & Taiji Ishimori def. BUSHI & Tetsuya Naito
6. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI) def. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, SHO & Toru Yano) to win the vacant NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championships
CHAOS regrouped and celebrated together as a unit after the main event. A big deal was made out of YOSHI-HASHI finally capturing his first title in New Japan, furthered by Okada – the record breaking former IWGP Heavyweight Champion – being the one to put the belt on him.