New Japan Pro-Wrestling kicked off their weekend tour in the U.S. on Thursday, August 22 with the first round of the 2019 Super J-Cup. The show took place at the Temple Theater in Washington. Results via NJPW1972.com.
1. Jushin Thunder Liger & Karl Fredericks def. Shota Umino & Ren Narita.
2. TJP def. Clark Conners to advance. Conners is one of the stand-outs from the U.S. Dojo and got a ton of exposure working the undercard of the G1 tour. Shibata was watching from the sidelines.
3. Soberano Jr. def. Rocky Romero to advance.
4. Caristico def. BUSHI to advance. A battle between masked CMLL and NJPW stars here. Caristico is the original Mistico and was the original Sin Cara in WWE.
5. Ryusuke Taguchi def. Jonathan Gresham to advance.
6. El Phantasmo def. Robbie Eagles to advance. A few months ago both of these guys were Bullet Club, with ELP being announced prior to the Super Juniors tournament. He was basically so unbelievably unbearable as the faction’s new heel that Eagles defected after butting heads with him throughout the entire tournament.
7. Dragon Lee def. YOH to advance.
8. SHO def. Taiji Ishimori to advance.
9. Will Ospreay def. Amazing Red to advance. The crowd was insane for this match after being hot all night. Red got “you still got it” chants because of course he did.
Night two of the 2019 Super J-Cup will take place on Saturday, August 24 at San Francisco State University. Quarterfinal matches set for the show are Will Ospreay vs. SHO, TJP vs. El Phantasmo, Dragon Lee vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, and Caristico vs.Soberano Jr.