New Japan Pro Wrestling kicked off their annual World Tag League today at the world famous Korakuen Hall in Tokyo. The show featured the debuts of several U.S. indie stars including Sami Callihan, Jeff Cobb and Chuck Taylor.
NJPW World Tag League – Night 1
November 18, 2017
(1) Hirai Kawato & Shota Umino def. Tetsuhiro Yagi & Ren Narita. Lots of shoving and disrespect from the Young Lions before and after the match, as all four of these guys are basically ready to move up. Great back and forth action, despite it being difficult to tell who was doing what at times. Kawato got the win with a beautiful springboard shotgun dropkick into a crazy tornado kick.
(2) Guerrillas of Destiny & Leo Tonga def. War Machine & Tomoyuki Oka. Most of the match was Oka getting beaten down by quick tags from the Bullet Club boys. War Machine cleaned house later on, but Oka came back looking for revenge and fell to a Rikishi Driver from Tanga Loa. Okay match.
(3) Chuck Taylor, Beretta, Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano def. Michael Elgin, Jeff Cobb, David Finlay & Katsuya Kitamura. Cobb came off like an absolute star in his debut, doing four different suplexes in quick succession and knocking out Ishii with a huge forearm. Kitamura was a monster and Taylor looked good as well, actually getting the pin with an Awful Waffle in his debut. All the newcomers shined in a great match, and this set the tone for some interesting tournament matches.
(4) Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi def. Bad Luck Fale, Chase Owens, Hangman Page & Yujiro Takahashi
(5) Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe & Henare def. Killer Elite Squad & El Desperado
(6) Hiromu Takahashi, Bushi & Tetsuya Naito def. Kazuchika Okada, Will Ospreay & Gedo
(7) Yoshi-Hashi & Hirooki Goto (+2) def. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka (0)
(8) Juice Robinson & Sami Callihan (+2) def. EVIL & Sanada (0)